Instructor feedback forum

Welcome to the feedback forum for Learning Catalytics. The ideas you submit here will help us improve the product, and your votes on other instructors’ ideas will help us prioritize development.

For help, consult our instructor or student documentation.
For support questions, please contact Pearson 24/7 support.

1. Increase the types of responses allowed in expression type questions.

For example, I would like to pose a question in which student respond with a vector <a,b,c>; however the symbols < and > are not allowed.

Another example, I would like to ask the students for the equation of a circle centered at the origin, i.e., r^2 = x^2+y^2; however the = sign is not allowed!

This puts an extreme restriction on the type of questions and responses available for these types of questions.

It has been demonstrated repeatedly that free response questions perform much better at testing a student's knowledge compared to multiple choice.

Please, please, please fix this…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a new question type: EQUATIONS

This is similar to another post about expanding the symbols allowed in the "Expression" types of questions.

Sometimes answers ARE equations, thus the = sign is required.

Also, interval notation, such as (a,b) or (-infinity, infinity) are needed either in the existing "EXPRESSION" question types or this new "EQUATION" question types. Note: the words "infinity" above would be substituted with the infinity symbol, which would need to be made available.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make the PPT upload useable

I tried out the PPT upload option today. Great idea but the execution makes it useless. PPT is so compressed that it's tiny and very low quality. The fonts are messed-up so the text elements overlap. Lack of PPT integration is the number one issue my faculty have with LC and the PPT is too problematic for me to suggest it to them.

My suggestion is to not compress the PPT files or compress them less so they can be full-screen and high quality. Otherwise this feature is useless.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. extra credit

Would love to have the ability to specify questions in my Modules as extra credit questions.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Exported a lecture or question as Text (with Tex), HTML, or PDF.

If I have used this site as an authoring tool, and wish to use the same question in other environments/publications, it would be very nice to not have to retype everything...

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix date sort of sessions for individual student so that Feb comes after Jan

Your code appears to be sorting the date based on alphabetical order rather than calendar order.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Hints After First Attempt in Team Based Assessment

Provide hints after the first attempt during a team based assessment.
    For example, after the first attempt at a many choice question students could be given hints such as "more then two choices are correct" or "only one choice is correct".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Actually do something about the feedback that has been presented and asked here! 245 votes for making an App. Where is it?

Actually do something about the feedback that has been presented and asked here! 245 votes for making an App. Where is it? How many votes does it take for Learning Catalytics to do something? First semester trying out Learning Catalytics and far from impressed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Change from "pixels" to percentage length of vector for vector magnitude questions.

For "direction" type questions, if I want to have it graded based on direction and magnitude of the vector, the tolerance for a correct answer is a number of pixels. I have no way of knowing how many pixels a given vector translates to on anyone's device, rendering this option virtually useless. Please just make it so that it's a percentage length of the correct length.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. change excel headers in download

Place the point value for a module/column in the header of the download spreadsheet! Currently, the points appear in the online gradebook, but once downloaded to csv spreadhseet, those points are gone from the header and I have to to the online gradebook and transfer that information by hand for each column - arrggh!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. User friendliness needs to be improved in many ways

1) Creating questions should be much simpler. If I want to have students identify things, I should be able to do multiple locations at once. Why aren't options that allow students to drag "A" "B" "C" etc to appropriate locations available?
    2) Implementation: I want to do class wide "Note Reviews" where students submit answers. Once answers are completed, I share results with class. I would like my students to have access to this session and see ALL responses, not just theirs.
    3) Organizing questions is much more difficult that it has to be. If I screw up the order…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Short Answer - Add checkbox to NOT display "Correct Response" for RegEx questions

For short answer questions I use regular expression checking to improved accurate grading.
    Unfortunately the Correct Response field containing the regex code is shown in the feedback to students as the Answer. I would prefer to show only the Answer/Explanation when “Consider as Regular expression” is checked.
    NOTE: This only happens in Self Paced and probably Self Test mode. The regex code does NOT appear as feedback in Instructor led mode.
    Please make regex work the same in all question modes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow changing the due date on an assignment even after the session has launched.

Allow changing the due date on an assignment even after the session has launched. Sometimes you might want to push back the time a session closes for students but you can't do that without closing down the session currently.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. module homepage - too much load time!!

When on the module page, there is an extreme time delay as all modules from an entire course are trying to upload the circles with data. A screen shot of this page is attached.
    You are also only allowed to delete one module at a time. This is inconvenient if you want to delete multiple modules as you have to wait for them all to load again on that screen before moving on.
    Please add a setting to NOT load the pie chart data on the home page list. It is not necessary as data can be found within the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. In Team Based Mode, provide separate results for the individual and team round

Learning Catlytics' team-based mode is closely modelled on Larry Michelson's 'Team Based Learning' (TBL) which I've successfully used for many years supported by 'manual' technology (portable scanner/laptop). The conversion to digital is welcomed.

The Results ('Review Results') from the Team-Based mode need to
    provide a score for each student from the Individual Round separately to that from the Team Round. Presently only a single combined (individual plus team) result is available. Being able to see the difference (almost always improvement) between individual and team scores is vital as it clearly conveys to students the knowledge gain from collaborative learning.

And…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow instructors to edit their Institution name in case they made an error initially.

Many schools have various versions of their names in the LC database. For example "Florida State University" and "FSU." If an instructor chooses the wrong version, they can't see any course maps from instructors in the other. There doesn't appear to be any way to edit the institution later.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Instructor feedback forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base