Instructor feedback forum

Welcome to the feedback forum for Learning Catalytics. The ideas you submit here will help us improve the product, and your votes on other instructors’ ideas will help us prioritize development.

For help, consult our instructor or student documentation.
For support questions, please contact Pearson 24/7 support.

1. Please put the actual items back in the ranking prortion of the ranking questions

At some point in July 2016, the way ranking questions are presented changed.

Formerly, the actual items to be ranked appeared in the drop-down boxes presented to the students.
    Now, when the student tries to answer, they are present with "first answer", "second answer", "third answer", ...
    This requires that the student constantly refer back to the list of items. This is confusing and cumbersome, particularly on a device with a small screen.
    i suspect this is a programming error in which the program was toald to actually display the words "first answer" rather than reference the actual first answer. …

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow author testing of questions

For some questions (region, direction) it is often difficult to tell whether you have set up the question properly. It would be great if the author could "test" the question, somewhat like being in student view except just for that question and seeing immediately whether the answer is right or wrong, so that we could play with typical student errors and make sure that they end up being appropriately marked.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hints After First Attempt in Team Based Assessment

Provide hints after the first attempt during a team based assessment.
    For example, after the first attempt at a many choice question students could be given hints such as "more then two choices are correct" or "only one choice is correct".

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. change excel headers in download

Place the point value for a module/column in the header of the download spreadsheet! Currently, the points appear in the online gradebook, but once downloaded to csv spreadhseet, those points are gone from the header and I have to to the online gradebook and transfer that information by hand for each column - arrggh!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Group questions depending on Chapters

Group test bank questions based on chapters.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Don't let students review questions that were not delivered

LC is currently allowing students to review all questions in a Module, whether the questions were delivered or not. This is a problem in the following scenario:
    1) I create a module with 10 questions that I set up as an Instructor-Led, Synchronous response type, and with the option checked to let students review their performance.
    2) During the class, I start a session for the module but only get through 7 questions (whether because I run out of time or I decide to change the focus during that class period).
    3) I stop the session at the end of…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow for the managment of multiple sections within a single course

I often teach 4-5 sections of the same course in a semester. I do not set up 5 different mastering courses. That's too much to keep track of. All of my sections get the same course ID, and within Mastering I place them into groups based on sections for easy gradebook filtering. This doesn't integrate with learning catalytics so well. Since all students are in the same masteringclass, they all get placed into the same learning catalytics course. The problem arises when it comes to grades.

To simplify, say I have 2 sections. One meets monday/wednesday, the other meets tuesday/thursday.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow the export of the "Attendance Information" spreadsheet

Sometimes we have wireless issues so students can't log their answers, but we want to give them credit for attending the class.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make the grade book more user-friendly

Make the grade book more user-friendly for students.
    Allow students to see an overall grade: percentage of questions answered correctly and percentage of questions answered. It is very confusing to students to see how their learning catalytics grade will be calculated.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow bulk removal of questions from modules.

I create a module by copying from a large bank of questions into the module for the day. I'd then like to go through that new module and remove, in bulk, all the questions I don't want to include. As it stands I now have to delete them one by one or bulk move them to a dummy "garbage" module for later deletion.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow instructors to reopen sessions

I made a self-paced module for my students that was supposed to stay open until September 2. There was a glitch in Learning Cataltyics that made the session close on August 31.

I spent over an hour on the phone with technical support with no resolution as to why my session was prematurely terminated or what I could do about it.

It would be helpful if instructors had the ability to reopen a particular session ID, so that if there are glitches like this, they don't have to give students a different session ID number. Having to pass out multiple…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Randomize order of questions in self-paced modules.

I would like the ability to randomize the order of questions in self-paced assignments so that they can be used for in-class electronic testing. In a large class with limited chaperones, it is possible for students to collaborate by moving through a self-paced assignment together and watching the others submissions. Randomizing the order of the questions would make collaboration very difficult since they will not see the same questions at the same time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. matching

In matching questions, allow more "options" than "subquestions". For example, allow the instructor to list three subquestions and five options, of which two options have no match (i.e, there are two distractors). This allows the instructor to minimize the ability of students to determine the matches by process of elimination.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make the same info available in grade book and review results

When reviewing results one sees session ID, day/time, number of students and status. Please also indicate number of points in that session.

When viewing the gradebook, one sees session ID and points in that session, but NOT the day/time.

Please make the same information available (session ID, day/time, points) in both views.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make Pearson PPT quiz/clicker questions available for use in LC.

The textbooks I use have Power Point presentations with quiz questions for each chapter (available within instructor resources). Migrating these questions to LC, and making them available would be very helpful.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Word cloud results needs to be larger

When 'show all results' for a word cloud is displayed on the the projected screen the word cloud needs to be bigger in size.

There is plenty of real estate on the screen, however the word cloud only takes a small portion (less than a quarter of the projected space) and some of the smaller words cant be seen.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Countdown timer should be displayed on students devices

The countdown timer in automatic pacing, as well as the round clock that counts submitted answers, currently appear only on the instructors screen and on the window projected in the classroom.

If the instructor is not using a projector, he has to orally remind students of the remaining time. Please show the timer and clock on students devices.

Another detail: on the student window that is projected, the countdown timer has colours red on blue, which are very hard to read. Please change the color.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Paste several questions and answers at once

When creating a question, the option to paste several choices at once is excellent. It would be excellent to have this feature to paste several questions at once. For example, the instructions could read, "Paste questions here, with choices one per line. Insert a blank line between questions."

Question?
    Choice
    Choice
    Choice
    Choice

Question?
    Choice
    Choice
    Choice
    Choice

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Drag and drop or copy and paste images into question stems or answers.

I wish I could just cut and past images from ppt or other document; and/or drag and drop an image from my desktop into either question stems or answer blocks. It is a bit tedious to have to upload the image and then drag the image title to the appropriate box.

When I try cut n' paste of images, the image does not always show up or it only half shows up.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Instructor feedback forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base