Instructor feedback forum

Welcome to the feedback forum for Learning Catalytics. The ideas you submit here will help us improve the product, and your votes on other instructors’ ideas will help us prioritize development.

For help, consult our instructor or student documentation.
For support questions, please contact Pearson 24/7 support.

1. Allow gradebook (*.csv) to view students' attempt in every question

Currently, I only see the points of individual students, will be more useful if I can review the students' attempted question in the gradebook to identify their weakness in the topics.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show seat and name of student when hovering over a response

In the instructors view, when I see the students answers (specially "long answer" or "sketch") I would sometimes like to know which student gave a particular answer. It would be nice if hovering over the response would show who gave the answer and where that person is located in the room.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. When copying a question from another module, make the default destination the same as the previous copy

And copy vs move default radio bullet same as previous copy - i frequently copy the last few questions from a previous session to the current session, would be nice to cntrl-click to highlight all the questions and move in one fell smooth, and if moving q by q, at least have the destination be the last place moved to, not an alpha list

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Be able to change modalities on the fly, from synchronous to self-paced or self-test

I often have some questions we don't get to during class, and it would be great if I could then allow students to finish the remaining questions as a self-paced module. Also, I like to start class with synchronous questions regarding misconceptions, and then have students work in groups on problems. Right now I have to separate them into two different modules, and have two sessions for one class.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Better checking and notification of invalid responses in data collection

AFAIK, a data collection response that is outside the bounds simply shows up on instructor list as invalid and student never knows that they submitted an invalid response. Could an invalid response not trigger a message to student to reenter a valid reponse (perhaps at that point giving the permissibie response range).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. provide an option for a classroom seat map to have an "owner"

The time it has taken to generate the 1550-seat map for our auditorium space has been significant. We're concerned that someone else might attempt to edit, or worse yet, accidentally delete, this map. This came up when we noticed that we are able to (but didn't) edit the seat map in another room on our campus.

Could it be possible--even on an optional basis--for a room's seat map to be assigned an "owner," and all edits need to be requested through that owner?

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Modify HIGHLIGHTING question

I would like to see the HIGHLIGHTING question type modified in order to have a particular phrase be the 'correct response'... Perhaps this involves creating a variant question type v.s. the current heat map implementation.

By way of example of how I would like to use this, consider a physiology question where a paragraph or two of text describes all of the events at the neuromuscular junction. This begins with the arrival of an action potential at the end of an axon terminal.... event descriptions proceed until the muscle cell eventually generates its own action potential. The students are asked…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Include an option to display a dynamic indicator of correct responses during the progress of the question.

I asked a word cloud question that was getting a lot of incorrect responses. During the question, I told them that a lot of them were wrong and their group should check with a few other groups to see what others were answering, and I was delighted to see the correct response creep up out of nowhere in the cloud and end up being the most frequently-answered response. I did this with a multiple choice question in an earlier lecture, where I noticed on my control panel that one incorrect response had 25% of the students selecting it. After telling…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change modalities to be synchronous vs asynchronous, merging the self-paced and self-test, but adding all the various options to choose from

A single asynchronous modality could contain all the options for both the self-test and self-paced (so that we don't have to sacrifice one option for another): whether to select a seat, respond to questions multiple times, get immediate or delayed feedback, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. allow to assign a limited number of answers to multiple questions in the matching format

Currently you can only match a phrase or term with another different phrase or term. It would useful if one could use the same answers as well.This way you could sort several different descriptions into categories by matching with 2-3 answers.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make units of values recognizable when categorizing the values in numerical or data collection questions.

When inputting values for numerical and data collection questions, the system is currently able to recognize units to assess the correctness of a response. It does not, however, lump equivalent values (with different unit scales) as the same value in the histogram bins. That is, it currently records 0.1m as a different response to 10cm. Ideally, these could be lumped in the same bin.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. order the columns in the gradebook

currently, my graded modules appear in the gradebook in haphazard order - neither chronological nor alphabetical. That makes it very difficult to work with, and I anticipate having 4x the columns by the end of the semester!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. show students clearly if their answer is correct or not

currently students have to find out by themselves if their answer was among the correct ones, once the results are shown. Mostly this is no problem, but for algebraic expressions it can be quite tricky to find their answer among a long list of similar looking answers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Expand Syntax for units

For example - if they enter a unit as m/(s^2) it now marks this incorrectly (for m/s^2).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add a way of marking or saving questions in the question library, thereby creating my own library of favorites.

As I browse the question library by keyword, I often find questions that I know would be great for a future topic. I would like be able to "star" these is some way, creating my own personal library of favorites for easy reference throughout the semester.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. create a "colloquium/seminar" account type.

To allow users to purchase a cheaper set of licences to use at events such as colloquia, seminars, or other presentations, so we can incorporate learning catalytics into those presentations.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. make the attendance list or seat map downloadable or include the seat number in the results spreadsheets.

When reviewing the results after class, we can look for trends in how students answered versus where they were sitting.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow the histogram binning of the data collection question type to be customizable.

Especially to accommodate variability at different numbers of decimal places. At the moment, it seems 6.981 is binned separately from 6.980 even though they both come up as 6.98 (2dp).

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow upload of text files

I think it would be great for multiple choice, multiple response, matching questions, etc. if you used a universal markup to allow import of text files formatted properly or software like Respondus to build large question pools quickly

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Instructor feedback forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base