Instructor feedback forum

Welcome to the feedback forum for Learning Catalytics. The ideas you submit here will help us improve the product, and your votes on other instructors’ ideas will help us prioritize development.

For help, consult our instructor or student documentation.
For support questions, please contact Pearson 24/7 support.

1. provide some suggestions on how the system can help optimally pair engaged and disengaged students

Obtain immediate student feedback rating after pairing to rate the level of engagement (enthusiasm) they experienced in their pair and use this to indentify highly effective match partners for disengaged students.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. integrate automatic and manual scoring

Sometimes I have short answer questions or sketches that I grade as correct or incorrect manually. It would be great if I could associate a point score with a correct answer so that then the complete test results are downloadable separated by questions. (Currently, if you use the "wide format" to download your results, any module containing a sketch questions will be shifted unpredictably by random data from the sketch question.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make it possible to post answers to selected student messages after a class so that all students can see the answer

Some students post good questions during class that don't get answered in class. I would like to post those answers so the entire class can see both the question and the answers. Of course, the class wouldn't be shown the student who posted the original question. Right now I have to copy and paste the question to the LMS discussion board.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make an app for Android

Makes it easier to access via Android smartphones and tablets

114 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Have a pricing option for a 4 year or 5 year plan.

It might help with getting people to use it over the long run. I know money is an issue with many students so paying once instead of each year would seem more like a deal. I know Top Hat offers 5 year plan for $38.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Show the text of each multiple choice answer in the bar graph rather than just A, B, C,...

right now in multiple choice questions, when the answer is delivered to the students, the bar graph has only the letters A, B, C, etc associated with the bar. If a student wants to know what answer is associated with A, B, etc, they have to look at the list of answers above. Why not, like in the priority answer type, print the text of the answer right in the bar. If you are looking to improve student learning from the answers, this will make it much easier for them.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow sharing and copying of whole modules to and from colleagues

A module that is developed as a case-study could be published and shared with other faculty at different institutions, instead of searching for and selecting individual questions.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Option for comments to be sent via email

I would like to see an option where when I make a comment on a student's answer the student gets notified via email. The email would have a link that would take them directly to the page showing the question, their response and my comment.

This would be especially useful for JiTT

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Create Partial Credit Scoring Option for Multiple-Answer Questions

When student get part of a multiple answer question correct, their position in the seating chart show orange rather than red or green. That's great. But there aren't matching scoring options. Two possibilities come to mind: 1) Treat each possible answer as a true-false question worth (1/number-of-answers) of the question's total score 2) When setting up multiple-answer questions, give the creator the option of assigning positive (and possibly negative) values for each answer correctly (or wrongly) selected.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Give a clear signal when some specified proportion of students say "I don't get it"

I love the "I don't get it graph" in principle but in practice does not work for me. I use LC on my iPad while projecting keynote on the screen. Thus I only look at LC when I am giving questions. IMHO it would be great if LC could deliver an audio signal when enough people say they are confused (customizable on number, of course). An electric shock would work better but a bit harder to implement.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow asynchronous (written) peer instruction

I'm imagining the following scenario: for homework (or JiTT) students get self paced questions. Those responses which cannot be graded automatically are assigned to peers for written feedback or grading.

I could expand on details if required.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Self-test option:allow feedback at the option level and don't display correct answer till they completed or exhausted attempts.

Allow students to get instant feedback but not the correct answer. This could help them when they repeat the questions and help to guide them.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. option to send private messages to students

option to send private messages to students

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make it possible to change the order of the (self-paced) modules that the student sees.

On the instructors side you can order it by date, type or name but that does not seem to propagate through to the student view.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. option to send private messages to students

Option to select a groupe of students and send them separate set of questions

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow LC to do surveys in survey research oriented courses (American politics and the like)

In lecture courses (say over 50 people) related to public opinion (but generalizes a bit), it would be nice if LC could be useful to both do but then easily analyze in-class surveys. Administering the survey question is easy (assuming anonymouty is not required) but then it would be nice to be able to run simple crosstab and at least bivariate regressions. The basic idea is that LC would, with a click, dump a spreadsheet in a form easy to input one's favorite stats program. Ideally this would be a spreadsheet of all past responses for all past class sessions,…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When students don't select a seat...

If a student doesn't select a seat when they log in, their answers do not show on the seat chart. Could any student not selecting a seat be given a different shape (circle?) and placed (a quasi-seat) at one edge of the class. That way, instructors could see how they were doing, even if they were trying to "hide" or be anonymous.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)