Instructor feedback forum

Welcome to the feedback forum for Learning Catalytics. The ideas you submit here will help us improve the product, and your votes on other instructors’ ideas will help us prioritize development.

For help, consult our instructor or student documentation.
For support questions, please contact Pearson 24/7 support.

1. Allow 'Create PDF' function with an option of together with the answers being exported

Currently instructors are allowed to use the 'Create PDF' function to export a single module in pdf format so for student who didn't have a smart device can also join the session with pen and paper. We have a user suggesting that if there is an option that answers can also be exported then teachers can treat this function as a tool as their soft copy back up.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the grade book more user-friendly

Make the grade book more user-friendly for students.
    Allow students to see an overall grade: percentage of questions answered correctly and percentage of questions answered. It is very confusing to students to see how their learning catalytics grade will be calculated.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Size of image/zooming

This applies mostly to students using cell phones: an image included in the prompt of a question appears smaller than the screen could allow, and is not zoomable. Using all available space or zooming would be useful for both readability or to input certain answers. (Images seem to be always zoomable on iPads.)

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Single Sign on via VLE/LMS

Single sign-on integration for VLE/LMS e.g Moodle/BB. Asked for my so many customers. Access model without MyLab/Mastering is too complex for students.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. respond back to messages

allow instructors to respond back in a chat to student messages

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. order the columns in the gradebook

currently, my graded modules appear in the gradebook in haphazard order - neither chronological nor alphabetical. That makes it very difficult to work with, and I anticipate having 4x the columns by the end of the semester!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Have questions worth fractions of a point.

I would like to be able to have each day's learning catalytics activities to be worth 1 point total. I would therefore like to be able to set each question to be worth a fraction of a point so all added together would be worth 1 point total.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow the histogram binning of the data collection question type to be customizable.

Especially to accommodate variability at different numbers of decimal places. At the moment, it seems 6.981 is binned separately from 6.980 even though they both come up as 6.98 (2dp).

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Create a new question template - Chat / Collaboration

Creating a question template which allows students to discuss on a certain topic which aims to enhance their collaboration, critical thinking and/or debating skills. Students will be inspired from peer response too as they can see everyone's answers (progress) and the instructor can also choose to throw more ideas/feedback depending on the student's response.

Below is the example of a similar kind. That's from a demo question so please neglect the answer it's just to show the effect of this question type.

http://LearningApps.org/display?v=pkhuqhzn301

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow instructors to input multiple answers when creating module questions

Similar to an existing idea posted here- but more broad-allow instructor to input multiple correct answers/answer derivations when creating modules using ANY of the question types available, just like you can in Mastering. For ex. if a student answers "DOG" instead of "dog" (input as the correct answer by the instructor), the student answer would be counted as correct and the student wouldn't be penalized for using capital letters rather than lowercase. The current absence of this feature limits the use of many question types in LC if one wants to grade based on correctness rather than just for participation!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Option for comments to be sent via email

I would like to see an option where when I make a comment on a student's answer the student gets notified via email. The email would have a link that would take them directly to the page showing the question, their response and my comment.

This would be especially useful for JiTT

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow LC to do surveys in survey research oriented courses (American politics and the like)

In lecture courses (say over 50 people) related to public opinion (but generalizes a bit), it would be nice if LC could be useful to both do but then easily analyze in-class surveys. Administering the survey question is easy (assuming anonymouty is not required) but then it would be nice to be able to run simple crosstab and at least bivariate regressions. The basic idea is that LC would, with a click, dump a spreadsheet in a form easy to input one's favorite stats program. Ideally this would be a spreadsheet of all past responses for all past class sessions,…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make it possible to "pause" a session to edit or clarify a question (self-paced). Students get confused if there are multiple sessions.

Make it possible to "pause" a session to edit or clarify a question (self-paced). Students get confused if there are multiple sessions for the same module, but sometimes during delivery it becomes apparent that I have stated a question in a way that is unclear or misleading. I would like to be able to fix that without stopping the session and starting a new one.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Update your search engine, searching for common terms usually results in "no items found".

Link questions to actual chapters in your texts so that an instructor can easily make use of them. Right now it is a mess, I only use my own questions as I can never find any on the site.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. allow team based response sessions to be resumed...

The team round allows students to view individual round answers for everyone on the team. If a session is stopped during the individual round (by accident, or before a member of the team contributes), there is currently no way to resume the session. This causes student answers to be distributed in two sessions, and the team has no way to view all answers.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Group students in a session even if they didn't submit an answer to the current question

Currently, if no answer was submitted, there's a message "You are not sitting close enough to any students to be grouped" if you didn't answer the current question, which forces students to submit a dummy answer if they couldn't figure out the problem.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. allow me to hide modules on the front panel so screen refresh does not take 40 sec

Since I have quite a few modules, it takes 40 seconds for the screen to refresh. I really do not need to see most of them. Please provide a "hide module" option. I bet it would even work if it was a "Hide pie charts" option since it seems that that is the part of the refresh that takes a long time

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. review results

Make "Review Results" option that looks that same as the live feed while a session is open so instructors can have quick access to which questions students need more help with.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Instructor feedback forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base