Instructor feedback forum

Welcome to the feedback forum for Learning Catalytics. The ideas you submit here will help us improve the product, and your votes on other instructors’ ideas will help us prioritize development.

For help, consult our instructor or student documentation.
For support questions, please contact Pearson 24/7 support.

1. Increase the types of responses allowed in expression type questions.

For example, I would like to pose a question in which student respond with a vector <a,b,c>; however the symbols < and > are not allowed.

Another example, I would like to ask the students for the equation of a circle centered at the origin, i.e., r^2 = x^2+y^2; however the = sign is not allowed!

This puts an extreme restriction on the type of questions and responses available for these types of questions.

It has been demonstrated repeatedly that free response questions perform much better at testing a student's knowledge compared to multiple choice.

Please, please, please fix this…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Exported a lecture or question as Text (with Tex), HTML, or PDF.

If I have used this site as an authoring tool, and wish to use the same question in other environments/publications, it would be very nice to not have to retype everything...

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Long answer/open ended type questions for Team-Based Assessment Mode

Long answer/open ended type questions for Team-Based Assessment Mode:
    I would like my A&P students to work through a case study using the Team-Based assessment mode. I believe that this would be helpful for team members to take individual notes and work through answers to the case questions before eventually being able to combine their work into one set of answers to the case for team submission. However, this would necessitate LC Team-Based Assessment Mode to allow for long answer/open ended type answers to be entered. From the instructor standpoint, I'd then be able to read though their answers and…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow bulk removal of questions from modules.

I create a module by copying from a large bank of questions into the module for the day. I'd then like to go through that new module and remove, in bulk, all the questions I don't want to include. As it stands I now have to delete them one by one or bulk move them to a dummy "garbage" module for later deletion.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow individual students access to complete session late

Students with excused absences could still have the opportunity to participate/complete homeworks on LC if there were an instructor option to reopen the session to allow only specific students access to session questions.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Providing TeX editing pop-up for entering answer choices in multiple choice questions.

To write mathematical expressions for the answer boxes I can only find two options: text, or image. Now, text does not really support mathematical editing. I am using image by employing LaTeXiT to create the expression, save as jpeg and copy the jpegs to the image list for the question. This is cumbersome. In particular considering that you already have that same functionality going for ther question editor. Any chance to extend that by adding a new method to edit answers via the TeX popup tool you have?

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow the instructor to select and set aside individual short answer responses as they are coming in

It is difficult for an instructor to keep track of the short or long answer responses as they come in in real time from the students, particularly in larger classes. It would be helpful if those answers could be clicked on and set aside for individual display on the room screen to discuss with the class once all the responses have come in.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow students to see the number of points of a question

Currently, the students see the total number of points only after the session has been closed. It would be helpful, if the students saw the number of points of each question, while it is displayed. This mainly refers to the response type "self paced" (and similar).

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow sharing and copying of whole modules to and from colleagues

A module that is developed as a case-study could be published and shared with other faculty at different institutions, instead of searching for and selecting individual questions.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a feature to allow groups to compete in class

One feature of other audience response systems is to allow students to choose or be assigned to groups at the beginning of a session and have the groups "compete." At any point in the module, you could display the current rankings based on students' scores. Students appreciate friendly competition, even in higher and professional education!

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please add "Change Grade" action for a Learning Catalytics item in Gradebook!

Please add "Change Grade" action for a Learning Catalytics item in Gradebook!
    Situation 1: A student is enrolled in course A but participates in a session with course B. His session result is not sent to his gradebook in course A but sitting in a respective module in course B. I am not able to enter the score manually in student's gradebook in course A neither.
    Situation 2. I would like to be able to assign partial credit for a question(s). Learning Catalytics allows only "0" or "1" points. Having "Change Grade" option would at least enable to adjust the…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Gradebook update - freeze title pane as you scroll

Is it possible to freeze the title pane as you scroll down through the gradebook so that you can view the assignment title as you scroll down into the subsequent pages where it is no longer visible at the top. This is essential for classes with larger enrolments.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. add a feature to allow instructor to see all student names on the seat map simultaneously

The instructor will be able to see the name of every student in every seat, which will help them to match names with faces.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. A countdown timer for each question that will appear on student phones.

Instructors could set an optional 10 to 20 second timer on questions to encourage a prompt response.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix "image upload"

when reviewing responses of type "image upload", it used to be the case that images would appear bigger when hovering over them. Unfortunately this has been disabled and the images shown are to small for grading them.

Please fix this, so we can continue to use this question type.

P.S. there was an earlier request of showing the images in a bigger size, unfortunately the situation is now worse.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. enable "drag and drop" feature to permit instructors to copy questions between modules-

in the module palette permitting instructors to a "drag and drop" feature to allow one to copy or move questions between modules

the only recourse at present is to copy a complete module and delete unwanted questions

"dragging and dropping" a circle in the module window (attached) would be very beneficial I think

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Need abilty for BULK settings on modules

There needs to be a way to make BULK settings for Modules within a course. For example,
    I want to set the "Do not allow students to review their performance on this module" option (either turn it on or off) to all (or a large set) of the modules at one time.
    Or change the percent credit for participation vs. correctness,
    Or to copy a BULK set of modules to another course, rather than the one-module-at-a-time fooishness.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The ability to "change categories" of learning catalytics sessions in MyMathLab.com

Right now the default setting for learning catalytics sessions is "homework" when it appears in the mymathlab.com gradebook with no way to change it. I have my gradebook set up so that homework, tests, quizzes, attendance and "other projects" are categorized separately and grade weighted. I was trying to get LC to show up under "projects".

Once a LC session is live it only shows up under "homework". You cannot change its category, and you cannot "omit" results from mymathlab.com gradebook if you decide not to include the grade in the score at that time (though you may change your…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow changing the due date on an assignment even after the session has launched.

Allow changing the due date on an assignment even after the session has launched. Sometimes you might want to push back the time a session closes for students but you can't do that without closing down the session currently.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Game show style response system

Allow an option for Learning Catalytics to recognize the fastest response out of a group. This would add a layer of competitiveness to game show style review sessions

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Instructor feedback forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base